An Area Founding Father: John Leavitt
Portrait of John Leavitt
He came to our area in 1798 to survey the area. Leavittsburg, Ohio was his dream, although all his ideas never came to pass.
In 1798, after the Revolutionary War, John Leavitt and his cousin, Ebenezer King went from Connecticut to the newly opened territory in Ohio that included Warren Township. They were members of the Connecticut Land Company, going to survey an area they would purchase. After clearing and planting 20 acres of land near the Mahoning River, John built a log cabin. He and members of his family risked their lives and their money to purchase a large tract of land (approximately 3 million acres.)
The banks of the Mahoning River as they are today.
Friends William Crooks and wife stayed while John and Ebenezer went back to their families in Connecticut. Having someone there was important to protect their interests in the land. Clearing the trees, pulling out stumps and underbrush to plant and build was a large and strenuous endeavor. This was also a hard journey back, but they were energized. The new land held so many possibilities. John realized that though farther, the southern route back from Connecticut would be necessary to bring his family to their new home. The northern route was known to be a shorter, but more difficult journey.
He also knew that they would need help on the journey and in the new land. The Blair twin brothers, Elam and Eli, were the right choice. He returned with his family before July 4th of 1800. They were all invited to a fellow settler, Mr. Quimby’s, for the 4th of July celebration. (Ephraim Quimby had purchased 441 acres in 1798 from the Connecticut Land Company.) There was one thing that was missing from the celebration - musical instruments. They fashioned a drum from a large branch and an animal skin, the fife from a hollow pepperidge tree. One of the Blair brothers played drums and the other the fife. Everyone joined in the celebration.
Not long after John, his wife Silence, and their family came; he realized that the log cabin was not large enough for his family and all those who wanted to visit. He proceeded to build a larger home that became an inn and tavern on the first floor. General Simon Perkins, lived and had an office there. (Simon Perkins was another surveyor of land that came to the area in 1798 while employed by the Erie Land Company. By 1815, he was the largest landowner in the state of Ohio.)
Come back in the future for more of the story in the development of the area, including more about the Leavitt family and John’s dreams for Leavittsburg.